Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:48:11 -0400
From:         Rod Smith <rodwreck@SE-TEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch slave cyl. removal & more
Comments: To: Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Hill" <hilltech@NETINS.NET> Subject: Clutch slave cyl. removal & more

> The clutch slave cylinder is mounted on a bracket with two small bolts, > and is typically really difficult for me to remove. Access to the rear > bolt is especially bad, and they are usually pretty rusty here in Iowa, > at least. Does anyone have any really effective tricks to getting this > thing off?

Hi Chuck; I just replaced mine on my '84 Westy and getting the two nuts and bolts off really wasn't too hard. Remove your drivers side rear tire to gain access via the wheel well. You should be able to deal with the front nut & bolt through here. For the rear bolt, I took a 13 mm combination wrench and cut it in half with a hack saw. Then, working through the engine compartment, I was then able to get the cut wrench on the bolt through the slot in the mounting bracket. It helps if you can then get a helper to hold the wrench in place. From the wheel well you can then use a ratchet or combination wrench (I forget which) to get this one apart. Good Luck & let me know how you make out.

> On another note, I like it when people advertise their parts for sale on > the list, especially when they price them up front--same price for > everyone--and actually have the parts they advertise for sale. I think > this is an important function the list can fulfill. Me Too.

> One more thing. We see the same issues raised repeatedly, and that's > OK, and there are good reasons for this to happen. Is it possible to > create a Vanagon "book" that we could all contribute a page or chapter > to, that could then build up to be the definitive information source, > organized in some logical way, with updates possible. The so-called > archives system is clumsy, slow, irritating, and inefficient. If there > were a "book" that held our collective contributions, wouldn't that be a > better system? It is possible to create a Vanagon "Book. Will it ever be done? Well, several have gone a long way already. Tom C. for example with his info on waterpump & clutch replacement: http://volksweb.relitech.com/index.htm Many others have web sites with info on such things as duel battery setups, etc. I guess it would be nice if someone had the energy to put it all together. When I find an interesting or helpful Vanagon link or site, I save it to "favorites" in my web browser. This works for me.

> I hope to change the world here. A world filled with Westys!!!

> Chuck Hill, lotsabusses

Rod Smith, OneWesty