Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2001 15:01:18 EDT
From:         Carol Sheerin <VanillaVan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      New to List

Hi,

I had the good fortune to have a reservation at Hendy Woods California State Park last Friday night. When checking in with the Ranger, he asked if we were with the Vanagon Group. I said "no" and proceeded to the campsites where we saw 5 or 6 Westys and a woman waving at us! When I told her that we weren't with her group, she replied that we COULD BE!!

The rest is history! We had a fabulous time, stayed another night and met many wonderful, knowledgeable "volks." I was even inspired to name my 88 Pastel White Westy "VANilla." I had an appointment to have my van serviced this last Thursday and my mechanic couldn't believe my new knowledge.

I purchased VANilla in May 2000 in Southern California from my cousin's husband. He is a retired school teacher and one of his hobbies is reading the Orange County Auto Trader. One day in January 2000, he told my cousin that he was going to buy a 55 Chevy and returned with the Van. She is still trying to figure that one out! We arrived for a visit that evening and I told him that when he was ready to sell it, I wanted to buy it. Four months later it was mine! I have had 6 other VWs, starting with my first car, a 1960 Beetle. Still have an 86 Cabriolet. I have always wanted a Camper.

He bought it from the original owner for $6500. It had 163,000 miles on it and had been used as a commute car and to study in. I don't think the stove or fridge had ever been used. Interior in excellent condition. Outside, the topseal needs to be replaced. I paid him his cost plus what he had put into it - new master cylinder, smog work. I have had to buy 4 new tires (the right kind), just had the rear heater bypassed (Thanks to the volks at Hendy identifying where the burning smell was coming from), and had to replace plastic vent cover on top. Have experienced the "lifter noise" which my mechanic said happens even with the Mann and Mahl oil filters.

Any way, glad I was in the right place at the right time! Speaking of which, a lot of time has been spent this last week reading the list. I have learned a lot and expect to learn a lot more!

Carol Sheerin (VanillaVan88@aol.com) San Rafael CA