Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:25:58 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: need I -4  stuff
Comments: To: bikeputz@hotmail.com

Dennis,

I bought the windage tray through Camelback. It retails for $90 and I think I got it for around $65. However, right now Impex Parts (http://www.vwparts.com/index.cfm) is selling them new for $29. Stunning price.

On the Audi 3A, I am going deeper into the engine and am continually impressed by the quality and the number of refinements compared to the RV digifant engine. Just finished a valve job (with the turbo, I don't want to take this apart again). I found that the cam followers/hydraulic lifters are significantly larger than the VW equivalent, although the same part number is given as the replacement. Also the injector gasoline spray path is much smoother than the RV head. Using SAAB xxx yyy 712 injectors with a defining spray nozzle on the end, the diameter of the gasoline packet is just 1.5 mm in diameter less than the port diameter at the intake valve opening. Almost theoretical charge filling!

Anyway, I would use the Audi manifold with the Digifant injectors (I'm making a modified hold-down for the fuel rail of the Digifant). You could feed the system with the RV air flow meter and be within its design margin. Wouldn't use the Vanagon part because the number on the resistor track is different. But actually, the SAAB normally aspirated 16 V, 2 liter engine uses an LH-Jetronic engine management system with the far superior hot wire mass flow meter. You could get all the parts (injectors, sensors, MAF meter, pressure regulator and ECU) for around $100 at a local yard. Better than the Digifant and even more superior when compared to the CIS-E.

I'm using the RV engine alternator and compressor mount plate with no problems.

I always get the exhaust pipes from my local VW racing Muffler shop. Cheap, bent to fit or cut and splice mandrels. Elsewise JCW has a full set of conservative mandrels.

Frank Grunthaner