Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:11:26 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Building a westy/DESTROYING A RARE SUNROOF VAN
Comments: To: jander14@wvu.edu

In a message dated 7/11/01 11:24:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jander14@WVU.EDU writes:

> I owned an '86 sunroof already, neat, didn't have A/C, hot in the summer, > it was a one spring fling as it was cheap cause the rear corner was hit. > > As to "the last '87 sunroof Vanagon" real damn unlikely. > > www.vw-bus.com frequently has '88, '89, whatever, even double door > sunroofs (seemed real popular with the German military.) Whoopeee if > it is the last or the only '87 in the US, who cares. > > My point was and is, it isn't worth a damn thing, the owner should do > whatever makes him/her the happiest. That is the essence of VW bus/ > van ownership. My point is precisely that money should not mean a thing > whatsoever to a VW owner or the thought of future rarity, investment return, > whatever. To own is to drive, to drive is to enjoy, to enjoy is all that > matters. > > Ask yourself this, in 2030 do you really think anyone is going to pay you > whatever $25,000 todays money is worth then for a '87 sunroof Vanagon > (the splitty analogy.) If you do, I suggest you buy it and keep it garaged. > If not I suggest the guy slap the poptop on and enjoy. > >

John take it easy man! ;<) seems like this touched a nerve? (was this donor westy in question the guy is using for his conversion, yours?) i'm all for vanagon poptop conversions, after all i was the one who helped karl bloss do his, and i have a entire poptop assembly for sale now too. but...... pick another van to do it to!!..

yes..the sunroof vans didnt have a/c (unless it was after-the-fact retrofit like mine) but when you're going down the road with that monstrous opening in the roof, you dont need a/c!!

as far as the '88, '89, double door sunroofs or whatever - Not here in the US. '87 was the last year the sunroof was sold here. And the amount of sunroof vans sold in '87 was so low to practically nil, that they didnt bring in any more after '87.. it was either a/c or the sunroof and most people opted for a/c.

the guy can do whatever he wants with his van, i was just stating my opinion.. just seemed like a shame to hack up a sunroof van for this conversion, let alone one of the last ones sold here. and for what he was talking about doing - yes, it would be more difficult to do because of the double roof. chris (who is in the process of replacing his sunroof seal, just got it in from rocky mountain motorworks) '84 sunroof vanagon wolfsburg

[text/html]