Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:28:19 -0400
From:         "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM>
Subject:      TIICO: drive plate confusion
Comments: To: bill.knight@USA.NET, billyfeet@surfree.com
Comments: cc: peterb@tiico.com

Bill said, "...Also, the drive plate is 2mm thicker than stock. This means you need 2mm longer bolts to connect the torque converter. These bolts are not included in the kit. It was hard finding new bolts with the required 12.9 quality grade. The length of these bolts is critical because the torque converter threads bottom out at a certain depth and thus if your bolt is too long, you would be fooled into thinking everything was tight when it really wasn't."

Will and Bill and interested folks on the list, I'm also mid-way through the conversion (boxer out, hopefully I-4 going in this weekend). I'm also doing an automatic. My kit does not include the torque converter "drive plate". As I understand it, the drive plate is that part from which you have to remove 3 bolts (releasing the drive plate from the torque converter) to drop the engine. Did your kit come with a new drive plate...that whole 3-holed pie plate thing?

Or, do you re-use the drive plate from the boxer. Did you need to source 3 new bolts or five new bolts? I'm wondering if the piece that is 2mm thicker than stock is actually the part on the engine that the torque plate bolts to.

I have 5 bolts in a bag attached to the engine, did you have these? They appear to be the bolts that you would use to attach the drive plate to the engine, but I don't know.

One more question, for now: my engine does not appear to have an adapter on the bell housing end. There is just the engine block, no "adapter" that TIICo made reference to. Am I missing this too?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Spooner Environmental Engineer Middletown Generating Station Middletown, CT