Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:27:42 -0500
From:         Kim G <ppg1@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      coolant fairies...(long)

Hi List, Has anyone ever heard of the coolant fairies? Someone or somehow every time I look in my expansion tank there is more coolant in there than the time before, whether I have driven anywhere or if it has been parked for 3 days. I don't know if there is an air bubble in the system somewhere, or coolant fairies, or some other problem. Here is what caused this problem, as far as I can figure. Last weekend, I parallel parked my van, after driving for some time in 95+heat, and it is a manual transmission(85 GL). After my poor attempt at parking, forwarding and reversing a few times before I was good enough, I heard a weird vacuum noise at noticed leaking coolant. The leak was coming from a hose with a T-fitting next to the shift linkage that goes into the transmission on the rear passenger side of the van. I let the van cool down for a few hours, and came back to find it had only lost about a cup of coolant, and the hose was still on the fitting, just not quite as far on as I think it should be. After pushing it back together and tightening up the clamps, and moving the hoses away from the shifter, I was on my way again. The coolant level was still between min and max in the expansion tank, but I was still suspicious of the vacuum noise I heard. I drove a little ways, no blinky dash lights and the temp was normal, all systems go. Now last night, some mysterious coolant fairies put more coolant in my expansion tank. I drove for almost 2 hrs in stupid rush hour traffic, and checked the tank again(nervous habit). The tank was almost full, and I checked it again, because its supposed to go down when it cools, and it didn't. I bled the system again, but I don't think it worked properly because the van was not completely cooled off for this roadside maintenance, I just wanted to get home without overheating. I made it home, and tonight I will attempt to bleed it properly. Am I on the right track thinking theres an air bubble in there? Anyone have any other ideas? Also, my van has never overheated, and the needle doesn't go over 1/2 way up the temp gauge, just mysterious extra coolant in the tank. I have 50/50 sierra coolant/water mix freshly flushed and filled and bled in May of this year. Thanks for any help.. Kim 85 GL