Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:58:52 -0700
From:         "Clark, Patrick" <PClark@NORTHPOINT.NET>
Subject:      Ratio Rockers with swivel/roller tips?

Ok volks-- looking for some real world evidence to help my mechanic and I make a build decision for my '89 2.1 WBX.

A little history: This is a one year old AVP motor with 28K miles and she's blown the head gasket-- so it's time to build her up correctly.

We're contemplating putting on a set of 44x37 heads, Manley stainless valves, hardened seats and the like, and I thought it was an opportune time to add the 1.25 ratio rockers and swivel tips at that. I have the chip standing by in a spare 022D and thought the combination would be a very reliable and much improved on the performance front.

The discussion has centered around the ratio rockers-- my mechanic is a bit leery of using the 1.25 ratio's with the hydraulic lifters. I understand his concern, but also know that a lot of folks are building and/or running in this configuration.

Another question that came to mind was 9mm question and whether the Pauter or Rhino rockers were a true bolt on application. Undoubtedly we'll be talking to Pauter Machine shortly for their expertise, but did want to get the real world experience from any running a similar configuration.

Anyone care to share you success or failures with me would be greatly appreciated-- the end goal has to be a reliable performance (100K) build that will get me up and down the freeway without a rebuild every year.