Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:40:26 -0400
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@USGS.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Fw: Murphy Bros. Quincy Ma. Good or bad or O.K.
Comments: To: "David M. McClelland" <sdaveemt@IX.NETCOM.COM>

Sounds like you have an oil cooler o ring leak. It is common for this o ring to fail on our vans, especially after very cold weater. There was even a recall in Canada. Its a super easy fix. Obviously the guys at Murphy Bros don't know much about vanagons or else they would have known this. You remove the oil filter. Then you'll see a threaded pipe that the oil filter screws onto. Remove this pipe (its not too tight) by turning it by hand with a rag, using pliers around a rag, a strapwrench, 2 nuts turned against eachother or any other creative way. Then between the oil cooler and the engine block you will find an o ring that is probably cracked. Get all of the old o ring out put in a new one (availabe from list vendors) put the pipe back in, oil filter back on and you're all set. A $5.00/1 hour fix IF this is the problem.

Good luck, Andrew