Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:34:20 -0400
From:         Éric Giroux <eric.giroux@NRC.CA>
Subject:      CANADA Tire Info

Hi fellow Canadians...

Did some tire research lately, here are two good finds. I kept the research for standard tires as per door sticker on my '84 Westy (185R14C)

Kirkland LT 195/75 R 14 are $75 uninstalled at COSTCO (aka Price Club). A little wider than standard (1cm), no big deal... Venderstein Transport Steel 185/R14 are $103 uninstalled from americatire.com, FREE Purolator shipping in Canada!

Other than these two *relatively low cost options, you have to go to the more expensive Michelin Agilis 61 or Dunlop SP LT5 or....

Éric

At 12:08 PM 12/07/2001, you wrote: >David - >I used to have the same opinion. I changed my mind when I got to thinking >about the relationship between pressure and carrying capacity. >The max carrying capacity of the tires is at the highest rated pressure. If >you have a tire rated 97 at 50 psi, it can handle something like 1900 lbs. >At 40 psi, it will be a fair bit less. I'll bet if you look at your tires, >the max pressure is 50 psi or higher. >My Westy sticker recommends 40 psi on the rear for 205R/14 with a rating of >97. >The sticker recommends 48 psi on the rear for 185R/14 C, and does not >specify a rating. Probably the C refers to the old Load Range C. Most of >the tires of that size and type I have seen have a max pressure of 50 and a >carrying capacity of 1435 lbs at that pressure, which is load rating 93, >like the Kirkland tires we are discussing. >IMO, IF INFLATED TO THE CORRECT PRESSURE, they will be perfectly safe for >most driving you are likely to do in this country, except serious >off-roading. >I think VW specified a load rating of 97 for larger size tires because they >should be inflated to a smaller percentage of the maximum pressure, and so >could handle only part of the maximum load specified. >In other words, in terms of carrying capacity, a 185R/14, 50 psi maximum, >load rating 93 tire at 48 psi is probably equivalent to a LR 97, 205R/14, 50 >psi max tire inflated to VWs recommended 40 psi. >Just make sure you look at your door sticker, and keep the tires close to >that pressure. Mine specifies higher pressure on the rears, and it handles >better that way. >There's nothing wrong with having stronger tires than needed. My highway >tires are Kumho 852's, 195/R14 LR 102. They handle well and were a good >price. >Mike Finkbiner >'87 Westy >Moscow, Idaho > >Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:26:00 +0100 >From: Dave M <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM> >Subject: Kirkland tires >>From: "William S. Brown Jr." >>Subject: Kirtland Tire question >>First question: Are the COSTCO tires only available in the following >>size? >>Kirkland Signature LT 2ply Radial Tires >>LT195/75R14 >>93/90 Q M&S >>Load Range: C >If 93 is the load range, these tires are UNSUITABLE for a Westy. >You need a load range of something like 97. >They are barely adequate for a standard Vanagon. >I run 215-70-14 passenger tires on my Vanagon load range 96 and this is not >a Westy. >- David '87 Wolsfburg >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com