Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:46:49 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Securing Valuables in Westy
Comments: To: joe.reed@MINDSPRING.COM

I found that my bumper sticker *This Vehicle protected by Smith & Wesson* wasn't quite getting it so I tie my Rotweiler to the passenger door handle, leave the van wide open so he can get in front of his fan and get to his water bowl. I leave my favorite pump action 12 gauge on the dash and just leave my Colt 44 Magnum in it holster mounted to the shift lever. That has proven to be the best security so far.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:47:01 -0400 Joe Reed <joe.reed@MINDSPRING.COM> writes: > Funny you should mention this, as it's one thing I've actually done I > can report on here... > > I bought one of those "The Club" devices for locking steering wheels > (basically, you just need any locking extendable rod-like thingee) > and then braced it between the closet door and the side of the > stove. The one I bought fit under the table (if I raised the table > slightly) and provided enough pressure that it could not be > dislocated without unlocking. > > Again, this is with the caveat that a determined thief will get in > anyway (by banging around on the club enough to break the wall of > the stove or the closet door) -- but it's certainly more secure than > a locked glove box, and fits in well with the "keeping honest people > honest" philosophy. > > Of course, I never tried to smuggle guns, drugs, or immigrants with > it. > > Yet. ;) > > ~ J Reed > Pittsboro, NC > > '87 Westy > '72 Beetle > '65 Internal organs > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Norm Swanson > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 1:53 PM > Subject: Securing Valuables in Westy > > > Hello list, > With all the discussion about how to break into our Vans I have a > question. > My thoughts are if you could lock the rear table in the stowed > position then > the two compartments below and the colset would be secure. I have > thought of > drilling a hole in the table leg through the face of the cabinet, > but that > woud give too much leverage by pulling on the table. I know that a > determined > thief can get into anything, just trying to keep honest people > honest. Anyone > have ideas? > > Norm Swanson > San Diego, CA. > 87 GL Westy > 85 GL

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.