Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2001 15:49:39 -0700
From:         Chris Radcliffe <chris.radcliffe@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: how much did you pay for your vanagon
Comments: To: Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>

Although working on one's own vehicle is a great catharsis, so also is actually using the vehicle for one's chosen recreation, regularly and reliably. Right now, I set the balance toward the latter. Of course, if I spent less money on purchase, I could retire earlier and.... never mind :-), I'll get the balance right one of these years.

Chris Radcliffe chris_radcliffe@mindspring.com '90 Westy Auto "Blue Whale"

> Uh oh. I think I'm going to set a record here: I paid almost $23K for the > Blue Whale about a year ago, a '90 Westy Auto.

Nah...not close, Chris. I'm sure all those, including myself who paid a lot (too much) for our vans have been keeping their mouths shut through all this... so it's now time for me to confess.

I paid $29K for my 89 Syncro Westy a year ago... same reason as you, Chris. she was immaculate, or so she appeared. Body almost perfect... couple small scratches and dings, but no accidents, no rust. Bus was garaged most of its life... allegedly belonged to Bill Gates neighbor, a 76 year old man who bought it thinking it would be fun to go camping with his wife... she hated it and it sat for most of it's life in a garage. the guy we bought it from liked it, but needed something bigger (?) for a growing family. When they sold it to us it had only 38K on the ticker. Camper section had never been used... stove had never been turned on.

Only problems were the ac compressor was shot... and shortly after we got it we realized the vc needed to be replaced... then a grinding noise in the tranny turned out to be a cracked pinion gear. Guess the PO ran different size tires on her for awhile or something. She has nice matching MXT's on her now. Pretty major repairs for an immaculate vehicle! Anyway, she was put back in shape about six months ago and has run flawlessly ever since.

Oh, did the half-lilley engine mods late last year too... couldn't be happier with the results. Probably have close to $35K in her now. Absolutely ridiculous for a 12 year old vehicle, expecially after I hear all the stories you guys tell about picking up vans for $200... even $5, 10 or 15K sounds cheap to me! Probably could have bought one of the new VW vans coming out soon for that much, eh?

Good news is she has only 50K on her now, compression is 145 straight across and everything works. Life is good.

Sorry for the diatribe, but confession is good for the soul. You can all LOL and make fun of me now... I'm vulnerable. Thanks to the list for all the help though... you guys are the best!

Aloha,

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com