Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:06:03 -0400
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: overheating, radiators, water pumps, whatever

whatever.

That is all I'll say on the issue, you want to go looking for a Vanagon bleed procedure, go to the '95 archives and look for my name. I've owned and bled more waterboxers than most of you will ever touch. 2 '83s, '85, '86, '87, '90 and countless for friends. The downhill idea is actually intrigueing and I'd thought about it but you'd have to sit the van on its nose to get the air out of the radiator, that front hose bends 90 degrees and no way in hell you'll ever kick all the air out. The procedure is simple, slam the van up a hillside or a set of ramps, pop the grille, pop the screw. Takes about 2 minutes after warmed up, done. I don't find screwing with the rear bleed screw does a whole hell of a lot, but I usually do it by the book anyway.

On the subject in general, I've never ever had an overheating problem on any waterboxer if the heads and stock cooling system were sound. Once I sprung for a lower temp thermo for one of them for the hell of it and the van ran worth crap until I swapped it back. In good shape there are no restrictions and the system is in no way "marginal." And my sister drove one of them in AZ with A/C etc for a year. If you have problems, you have problems, they are not in the design or the system. Find out what is wrong and fix it. The things have massive radiators, massive quantities of coolant, solid water pumps, etc. I replace the pumps as matter of course with the heads if around 100k miles but I've never really needed to, just did it. I've had one radiator fail to a leak, never one "plugged." But I do change coolant every few years and I don't ever use wonder stuff to plug em up.

YMMV John jander14@wvu.edu