Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:19:36 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Engine Misses

Greetings,

I've recently done a spark plug wire maintenance on my van and came across a design change in the spark plug jacket to spark plug wire that is essentially a possible point of failure.

In the Bentley on Page 28.30a there is a picture of the New style ignition cables connectors. Wouldn't you know it I have the Old style plug jackets and the new style connectors on my cables.

I have a 91. When I bought the van I learned that I could buy Belden brand metallic spark plug wire from Napa and spark plug lead connectors from VW. I didn't notice the "change" in lead connectors when I did this service.

Anyway I had the miss problem located to the number 1 plug wire into the spark plug connector which has a tight radius because of the location of the air cleaner box right on top of it. Looking at the drawing I concluded that since there isn't a Mechanical connection it's possible for a gap to occur at this connection, and the fact that I was getting an open reading on the ohmmeter. After cleaning and inspection I discovered this fault.

The older style connection is also a weak connection in my opinion. If you have a miss and want to look at this, try measuring the resistance from the disturber plug end to the inside of the spark plug connector.

The other item on misses is looking at the engine at night while it's running and looking for stray electric sparks. Often a plug wire case will rub on a metal components and begin to ground at that point. You can SEE the tiny sparking. Visual inspection in daylight is supposed to be a white mark on the wire. All plug wires should be physically routed with spark plug wire looms, those plastic things. A real no no is wire tying the wires together; but I do use a loosely attach plastic wire tie on a couple of spots so that the tie acts as loom.. I like a tidy engine, and find personally the spark plug wires on this layout to very difficult to properly isolate from possible ground points, so be prepared with a loom kit, plastic wire ties, and maybe even a new wire or two as the length of the wire tends to matter.

The other miss is the lean or rich misfire. Vanagons are known for the lean idle misfire. This is really a CO adjustment, throttle switch adjustment, idle compensation type of fault. Verify the mixture at warm idle with the O2 disconnected and look for a low volt or high volt indication. the range is .3 -.7 volts. Lean LEAN is below .1 volt and Rich RICH is above .86 volts.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller,

91 Carat Cowichan Bay, BC