Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:02:07 -0700
From:         Daryl Christensen <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      AA Trans is back..Trip report(long)

For any of you that are inclined to take a trip and camp along the way...I gotta believe the most beautiful stretch of road I have ever seen is from Jasper Alberta to Banff...It is absolutely breathtaking... The wife & I got in the camper & headed north and hadn't a clue where we would end up..BC is just an hour North, so across the border we went (throwing away the apples & potatoes at the bequest of the border guard).. Went up the Fraser river canyon..saw Hell's Gate..cool..funny looking water in the river...silty bottoms so they are whitish in color..went as far north as 100 mile house (sorry david..didn't get to Quesnel) turned East and went into Wells Gray Prov. Park...talk about some great waterfalls..gotta have 5 or 6 beautiful ones in there..Hiked & chatted with a few people and they said "go to Jasper old man"..so being good little campers, we headed there...We don't care for crowds of people, so the town(s) itself wasn't very appealing (a hot shower would have been) Bypassed the larger crowded campgrounds and found cool little places to camp...never a problem to find a spot if you stopped by 6PM..Saw some cool canyons & water carved rock...you know, all that touristy lookin stuff..On the road from Jasper, every turn beheld another gorgeous view of mountain or glacier...just when you think youv'e seen the best one...there was another ...walked on a glacier...had lunches by snow fed streams...hiked at 6000 ft calling out "here bear, here bear"...Oh yeah, the wildlife..saw a black bear, moose cow, caribou,elk,bunnys,chipmunks,deer,leeches,fish...you get the picture...The lakes & rivers were a greenish white due to the glacier melt & refraction of the silt in the water...Went up the gondola in Banff to the viewpoints..way cool..Good road trip all in all..spent 8 leisuely days and lots(I mean LOTs) of gas money at $3/us gallon(did I say I was driving a F..d F2504X 460with a 12'camper??) I highly reccomend this (the trip, not the F250) for any that are so inclined to rough it...very little traffic, many pull outs & viewpoints, easy to deal with canadians, decent roads...well worth the drive...Good time had by one & all OK enuf of that...work is piled up... Daryl of AA Transaxle Duvall, WA.(Seattle area) (425) 788-4070 1-877-377-0773 toll free http://www.aatransaxle.com (web site)