Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:19:19 -0700
From:         Steve Sullivan <steveis@SPEAKEASY.ORG>
Subject:      Odd transaxle problems

My 84 4-speed trannie is having odd trouble. Any suggestions before I take it to AA Transaxle?

Supposedly it's a rebuild from PO with not that many miles. Yet it's always shifted badly, grinding in second. Then I got the shifter adjusted and it was fine. Then replaced the oil with Redline. Still fine.

Lately it grinds badly when going into second from first. All other gears OK. Even when I double-clutch it, it will grind. And there is often this thunk that happens putting it into second. Nothing will prevent the grind once it starts, not double clutching, nothing.

Here is the odd thing: it only happens after extended freeway driving. Is it the temp of the trannie, won't shift right when it's hot but shifts perfectly (no grinding, thunking) when cold? Makes no sense to me.

Now my trannie also has this little thingy on the side that can be unbolted (about three inches across) that looks like a cap. Two wires come out that I assume are for the reverse lights. Looks like the "cap" is on the end of the crossbar thingy the gears slide sideways on. Otherwise, Bentley says/shows nothing about this piece. It's cracked and leaks oil. Always has. Related to grinding? I dunno. Anyone? Is it easily replaced without all the trannies parts falling out when I pull it off?

I doubt the severe clutch chatter I get when it's cold out has anything to do with it. But if anyone knows why it only chatters when cold, let me know.

So that's my story, anyone have a clue? I wonder if the gears get out of alignment, causing the thunking sound when it drops in finally?

Steve