Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:10:56 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      hitch for vanagon

--- > Subject: [vanagon] hitch for vanagon > > I learned of a hitch from a list member that is made > by Valley > Industries, 209 368-881. Model #68700($75.00) is a > class one tongue > hitch that mounts to the bumper bracket. > After removing the bumper it uses two existing holes > on the bracket > and requires drilling two additional holes which can > be drilled > without removing the brackets from the frame if you > are careful and > drill from both sides of each of the two brackets. > A small cut to > the bumper is required for the tongue to stick out. > Two things to > be concerned about. The hitch is slightly less > wide than the > distance between the two brackets. > Shims would fix this problem. The result is after > you torque the > bolts down the holes for the bumper no longer line > up with the > bracket. I slotted the holes and reattach the > bumper without any > problems. The other problem is the holes you drill > will pass > through two layers (inner and outer surface) of the > bracket. If I > was planning to do some towing instead of just using > a bike rack I > would design a shim to fit inside the bracket so > that the bolt could > be torgued to the specified 75 footpounds. > Verstanezee (bad > spelling) > gary of belmont > > > > To leave this list send an 'empty' message to > <mailto:vanagon-unsubscribe@egroups.com> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >