Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:44:03 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: New to water cooled, temp questions(long response)
Comments: To: abusguy2@SPRINGMAIL.COM

FWIW, I have a water temp sensor that reads in F degrees on my FI system(nonVW setup) and when the needle on the dash gauge is in the middle(pretty normal to be a needle's width on either side of the red light) on my 90 GL, the sensor reads about 196 degrees. When it gets to the top of the red light or slightly above, it has gotten as high as 208. My oil temp gets hotter than that, maybe up to 230 F, but to answer your question, when idling, I would think you would be normal as when the radiator gets no airflow, the temps are bound to increase a little. My reading were taken during break in ofa freshly rebuilt engine and while driving in mid to upper 90's air temps. The Vanagon cooling system is complex, and needs attention. Some simple pointers and guidelines: 1. Make sure your system has fresh coolant(I like the orange stuff from Prestone) and that all the air is out of the system once it's flushed and changed. The Bentley Manual explains this. Most oil change shops don't have a clue how to do this properly and can burn up your engine. 2. If the alternator light comes on suddenly, STOP THE VAN AND CHECK IN THE ENGINE HATCH!! The belt that drives the alternator, also drives the water pump and we hear repeatedly on this list of folks that shut down too late(ie after the temp needle went ballistic). 3. Check the condition of your hoses. it's hard to tell how many have been replaced on an 18 year old vehicle, and I think some of thje hoses for the 83.5 waterboxer are starting to get scarce. Check with Vanagain or Bus Depot for details. 4.I would leave the on/off valve for the rear heater in the off position unless you want to do the dry heat sauna while driving. They can leak over time and create a stange sweet smell in the van. My heater also has a burp valve in the top that belches air when replacing coolant. Don't confuse the two, the on/off valve is on the passenger side on mine, at least. 5. I'm not familiar with the earlier WBX engines, so I don;t know what valve you are talking about, but if pressed to guess, I would say it's likely the bypass/bleed screw for the air, especially if it appears to be at the highest point of the engine. The bypass screw(allows coolant past the thermostat before it opens, used only when re filling an empty cooling system) on my van is on top of the thermostat housing by the driver's side of the tranny bellhousing. That may be what your screw in qustion is. 6. A complete re-hosing of the van is a pretty expensive endeavor, but pales in comparison to the cost of a new motor. Check with the above vendors mentioned for package deals on everything you need. Dealer hoses are out of sight price wise.

Others are welcome to chime in here as I'm sure I've missed a couple of major points.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Becker" <abusguy2@SPRINGMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 9:33 AM Subject: New to water cooled, temp questions