Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:03:42 -0700
From:         Donna Stewart <DStewart@CHRM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trip report from France/Switzerland
Comments: To: joel_cort@YAHOO.COM

TDIs are fantastic. I do 52mpg consistently. I don't understand why Americans don't clamor for these vehicles - probably ignorance, as most everyone I talk to about my Beetle has no idea that the engine is diesel. My son was reading somewhere that VW is working on a V10 TDI - perfect for vans, SUVs.

>>> Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM> 07/18/01 11:15AM >>> For anyone interested,

I just came back from a 3 week vacation in France and Switzerland. I'm sorry to say that it was not in a Vanagon or a Eurovan but I did see lots there. Our first taxi in Paris was a Sahran which looked and felt like an oversized Passat Wagon. It was nice, roomy and would be a nice addition to VWoA's line up if they ever thought of selling it here. Oh yeah! it was a TDI and clipped at 140kph in no time at all on the Boulevard Peripherique. Nice, cool and quiet.

I did spot a few Vanagons "Transporter" and "Caravelle" as they are called over there. Most were utility vehicle but I did spot a couple Westfalia campers, actually parked on the city streets of Paris. Space is usually a high premium and with only enough room for a Golf or Polo. I saw only a handfull of Syncro Vanagons, one beaten up utility pickup and the others were kombis. I did not see any Eurovan Syncros. There were also lots of LT models, Mercedes vans as well as Fiat, Peu go, et al.

We rented a Citroën Xania 2.0l Diesel (did not have a choice) which was brand new, top of the line for the French with A/C! At 140Kph I still had 5th gear to use. This car was great and easily purred at 160 = 100mph. While on the A7 ExpensiveWay heading for Marseille and clipping along at 150/160 I was passed by a Eurovan "Transporter" TDI who kept on going.

There were many many many of our Eurovan models in all sorts of configuration. Most were "multivans" and most pulling a full size camping trailer and passing all the slow pokes 2CVs and truckers. All were TDI models, as most of the other vehicles in Europe. Even the Nissan, Toyota and other jap cars in Switzerland were also Diesel. Diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline at the pumps but the mileage was incredible. I went from northern France, through the Alps to Southern France with about 3/4 of a tank. (about Boston to Cleaveland)

I am now convinced that we in the US are prudish and stupid about the use Diesel. They have done great improvements with the engines and I'm a convert. I will be going to look for a TDI Passat for the wifey real soon.... cause she doesn't want a Eurovan.

Cheers,

Joel

89 Syncro Westy Multivan Rochester, NY.