Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:53:25 -0700
From:         Bill Kasper <dragonlist@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: soundproofing and seat tracks, ad nauseum

> Can you describe more what mastic is and why you are using it? I am getting > ready to redo my floor and need advice. > > McMaster-Carr has a pile of good materials for insulation and soundproofing. > http://www.mcmaster.com/ > Go to: Raw Materials and Springs>Rubber and Foam Rubber

well, the mastic is a buff/brown color that is rather pliable and conforms to shapes well. stretchy, if necessary. it's about 1.5mm thick, with adhesive on the backside. the upside is slightly textured. at mcmaster-carr the part no. is 9709T18.

this stuff came for something like $1.35/sf including shipping. other sheets come for double that, so i figured economy was next to godliness and went with it. once it is done offgassing i think we'll be in good shape...but i am already used to the smell and it's not really that bad.

make sure to do a 2-step wash, if you don't want to do the full bulley and take *everything* out and pressurewash: dilute simplegreen, then 409 when you're ready to stick 'em. have a sharp knife to cut the stuff with, and be ready to do some shape cutting to get the bulges on the slope covered properly.

>> recommend a sealent for the bolt-ends that stick through the floor > Just use the Silicone goo.

gonna do.

>> VW uses some sort of white goop that is >> flexible, nonsetting, and yet thick as hell (very glue-like). anyone know >> where i can get some of that? > http://www.mcmaster.com >>> Adhesives, Sealants, and Caulk > > I removed that stuff very laboriously with a razor blade and needlenose > pliers to reuse the bolts. Thought it was latex and was not for sealing but > to prevent the bolts from vibrating loose since that is a safety issue with > the seats.

i am reusing the bolts as is, though i did remove quite a bit. then i am going to put silicone sealent in the holes from the bottom side (colored white so i can see if it falls out or not...).

good luck! bill '87 syncro westfalia http://www.scruznet.com/~kasper/pics/westy/