Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:49:36 -0700
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Awning Fiamma F45 Review

For the awning shoppers: We finally broke down, and bought the Fiamma F45 with crank awning. (Not to be confused with the Fiamma F35, a totally manual model). After checking all different types of awnings, advantages and drawbacks, decided to pay a bit more, and get the F45 with crank. Had a chance to test it on a 5 day trip in the hot Eastern Oregon outback. We're very satisfied with its performance. If you would like to know some more details about it: Advantages: 1). It's built quite sturdy. All moving hinges, etc.are made from aluminum cast. 2). The rain gutter brackets, specially designed for vw buses and vanagons, are very strong and rigid. Generously sized brackets don't damage the body. (I cushioned them with some rubber padding). No drilling in car body required, attaches to rain gutter only. 3). The heavy duty fabric makes a comfortable shade in the hot sun. 4). The case is aerodynamically shaped. Didn't notice any wind resistance or noise. The case is mounted close to the body, and barely sticks out in the airstream. The alum. case is painted white. Blends in with the westy. 5). The awning can be easily "reefed" in for windy conditions. About using the awning: 1). Very effortless to set up or to stow away. You just hook in the small hand crank, turn a few times. The awning hangs up in the air, self-supporting. Then fold out the legs, and crank the awning out as far or as little as you want. Time to unfold or rewind it completely, easy 40 seconds. But more importantly, there is virtually no physical or mental effort required at all. Can be done in darkness, or if tired or lazy. We actually set up the awning every time we stopped somewhere or had a picnic. Like 3 or 4 times a day, while touring the John Day Fossil Monument in E. Oregon. We probably used it already 20 times in the few days we've had it. Often we cranked it out only partway to keep out the direct sun. It was blazing hot. The awning was probably a lifesaver.

Disadvantages: 1). Cost. It is more expensive, but well worth it. 2). Weight. 38 lbs, approximately the same as most other case awnings. It didn't seem to affect driveability, since that side of the westy is lighter anyway. 3). Crank handle is long, but I shortened it for easier stowing and cranking. But the nifty handle does fold up.

I don't think our westy looks any more or less like an "rv" than it did without the awning. Actually we think the Fiamma F45 looks sleek. Harald '90 westy http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/