Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:58:26 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low oil pressure/Type IV engine oil pump (long)...
Comments: To: Doug Mahone <mahoner3@POPMAIL.COM>
Comments: cc: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

I'm in Digest mode on the List, but I saw some posts about low oil pressure in an aircooled van, replacing the oil pump with the engine installed, and the difficulty in finding a replacement pump.

I wouldn't suspect the oil pump until all other causes have been exhausted. If you replaced your bearings and are SURE that you have the correct clearances there, your sender might be suspect. These can easily go bad, and many times they also leak. You can either replace it with new one (they're only 5 bucks) or install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see your actual oil pressure.

The VW Type 4 engine used basically the same oil pump from 1968-1983. It's an aluminum unit with steel gears (021-115-107). If you are going to try to remove it, you must be careful not to break the mounting ears off by prying on them. It helps to first loosen the case bolts above and below the oil pump, as the pump housing is a press-fit in the opening when the case halves are bolted together.

If a new stock replacement pump can't be found economically, you can buy just the gears from the dealer. However, this won't address the circular wear pattern in the body or end cap, so it's only a partial fix if your pump is truly worn out.

Many vendors sell a "heavy duty" version of the pump for around $60 (Melling is one manufacturer). It's basically a cast iron, higher-capacity version of the original. It features a longer set of gears that can pump a higher volume of oil. However, it may be necessary to grind down the pump drive tab slightly so that it doesn't interfere (bind) with the cam gear (the heavy duty pump extends a bit further into the engine than the stock aluminum unit.) The drive tab needs to engage the slot in the cam gear but should not be pressing hard against the cam gear when fully tightened down. This causes undue wear on the cam thrust bearing.

I have used the heavy duty pump on VW vanagon and Porsche 914 engines with no problems whatsoever and would recommend it highly. Alternatively, I have reused the stock aluminum pump after measuring the clearances (I think this info is included in the Haynes manual), again with no problem.

Hope this contributes to solving your problem.

Dan