Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:40:13 -0400
From:         Emmet McGovern <webmaster@BEACHIN.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bears & Adventurewagens (repeat)
Comments: To: Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>

HAH! Great story. Im sure you werent pleased at the time though. I never said hanging was fail safe, but it works when theres no alternative. I'll take a lost food supply bag and some rumaged clothing over a damaged van any time.

In 93' I was in Yellowstone having a picnic with some friends when a black bear invited himself along in broad daylight. We stood about 50 feet away, ignored by the bear, and said goodbye to our meal and beverages.

Emmet

-----Original Message----- From: Austin [mailto:austins@IX.NETCOM.COM] Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 11:31 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Bears & Adventurewagens (repeat)

In 1991 I & the 2 r.r.'s went up to Tuolumne Meadows for a planned few days at Young Lake, Ragged Peak, Conness glacier, etc. Started out near Lembert Dome, made it to Young lake (~ 8 miles), had some dinner, *properly* stored our food between 2 trees & 15' up, & hit the sack. Comes 3 am & Mr. Tioga bear climbs one of the trees (picked the one right behind the tent-scared the stuffing out of the three of us): the limb he's crawling out on (that held my son's weight just fine) snaps & he crashes down with our food sack, & wanders off. Next am we find what's left ~ 150 yards away....he'd had quite a feast. The hungry little ones decided fish for breakfast, lunch, & dinner was stretching it, esp 'cuz ol' Dad is not well known for his fishing abilities (trout are not an endangered species when I'm after them).

So we hike our tired 'n' dirty butts back to Moby (the great white Adventurewagen).....& find the passenger side window in a bazillion pieces both inside & outside. Against all common sense I'd left the windows open a crack, "cuz there was NO food, or food containers, anywhere inside. Howsomever Ms Tioga bear (please note gender balance of 'guilty' parties) knew what I didn't: my beloved little ones had surreptitiously smuggled in baggies full of M&M's - peanut, of course, chocolate covered raisins, & other assorted survival food to enable them to endure the l-o-n-g trip from the Bay Area. Of course they'd forgotten all about it when we started, but *now* they remembered!!! So Ms T-bear sniffed out the goodies, crawled through to the back, & spent a goodly amount of time chasing MnM's all over the floor & into the corners where she captured them, leaving lots of tongue-streak evidence on the cardboard I had covering the rug for the trip. She'd put her hind feet on the front tire, hooked her claws through the vent crack, & pushed/pulled the window 'til it broke. The alarm went off, & of course Ms bear wasn't the least perturbed, according to the park ranger who'd been through this many times before.

Yes, bears *ARE* able to read (~ 3rd grade level, I believe), they *ARE* incredibly strong, and, unless you are between them & what they want, they could care less how upset you get.

Austin