Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:13:19 -0400
From:         Michael Nichols <msnichols@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yet another 2 liter question

Hello from Atlanta, Ga...... I experienced the same symptoms on both my '81 air cooleds last year, and here is what I found that caused the problem and how I fixed it--- To begin with, my distributor clamps on both vans did not hold the distributor tight, and after driving the distributor would shift a bit. I was missing the washer on the clamp just behind the big 10 mm adjusting nut. Over time the nut would seem tight, but it was bottoming out on the threaded shaft and giving a false tight reading. I fixed this by adding another generic washer or two, and also by using a Dremel tool and filing off a bit on the stops on the clamp so that it would tighten = close a little bit more. This looseness in the distributor was a weird thing---I could not turn it by hand to see if it was loose, but the darn distributor would "creep" over a short time to an improper timing setting. The second problem that I had was that the timing would jump about when the clamp was genuinely tight. The culprit turned out to be a worn distributor cam that you could not see with the naked eye, but would show up when installed in either van! This bad distributor was a newly purchased "rebuilt" FLAPS item with a warranty. Once I exchanged it for a replacement distributor, all was well. I would like to add that one van now has a wonderful mechanical advance new Brazilian distributor purchased from the BusDepot for about $70. An amusing note here is that the skilled folks at the BusDepot assured me repeatedly that this brand new distributor came complete and ready to install. The well-intentioned fellow who took my phone order even asked his co-workers if it came complete and ready to install. Well, the distributor arrived, complete with points, distributor cap and condenser, but alas, no "O" ring. This item is .49 additional and not included with a new distributor.......... When I called BusDepot to order one, they would not sell me one unless I ordered something else to make the order "worth it". I finally obtained one from the local VW dealer....... But, the new distributor has worked flawlessly for over six months without any floating timing or dwell problems whatsoever. In closing,I would recommend that anyone experiencing distributor problems with an air cooled van call BusDepot and order a new---not "rebuilt"--- mechanical advance distributor (and "O" ring!)

Regards,

Michael Nichols

sage ----- From: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2001 9:31 PM Subject: Re: Yet another 2 liter question