Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:52:26 -0400
From:         Ed Carroll <ecarroll@MAINE.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: old propane tank lost cause?

I have not looked at one of these particular tanks, as I own a Weekender.

I have, however, witnessed and reported on a fiery propane explosion that was caused by a rusty 100-pound cylinder letting loose as it came full and to full pressure at a filling station. That's the large camp and cabin type cylinder. This crusty old guy from the outskirts of town used to salvage cylinders at the dump, clean 'em up some and use them at trailers he rented out. A hole on the bottom seam let go on this one, in the bed of his pickup while he's standing there with the hose in his hand and the station owner/attendant looking on, and the cylinder starts to flop like a long full balloon that's been let go. Knocks off the rusted fender of his truck, strikes the ground, causes a spark on the gravel when it hits, goes off in a percussive fireball that envelops pretty much the entire filling station, and the cylinder launches about a quarter mile into the air, trailing fire and white vapors.

Crusty old guy and station attendant are both rolling on the pavement on fire, and people are understandably reluctant to rush to their aid at a burning gas and propane filling station. They both lived, severely handicapped and with third-degree burns over good portions of their bodies. The crusty old guy sues the station owner and the regional propane distributor, because both are supposed to know better than to fill rusty tanks that have been salvaged and cleaned up a little, and wins. Badly burned station owner sells and gets out of the business.

So, for me, I'd get a new one. Station attendants are supposed to look for the tags/inspection stamps, though they probably won't, especially inside the van. Still, if it were me, I'd replace it.

Ed Carroll '87 Weekender '69 Karmann Ghia convertible