Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:18:42 -0600
From:         "Richard A. Jones" <jones@COYOTE.COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Agilis tires

I put Agilis 61 (185s) on my '81 last fall because the MXTs (205s) don't have M+S rating. The difference in feel was very noticable--much easier steering (the '81 doesn't have power steering) and smoother and quieter.

I just put the MXTs back on for the summer. OK, I'm a little late.... Anyway, I just want to get the wear out of them, but they suck compared to the Agilises. Much harder steering. Compared to the Agilis, they feel way underinflated, even though I put them at 38/44.

So my position is that the Agilis is the tire to get! Don't whine that the MXT is gone!

(I ordered mine from the Tire Rack, shipped to my local installer.)

BTW--my Syncro came with 205 Goodyear Eagle GT IIs which aren't the right tire for a Syncro Westy(!) But, hey, they are great feeling. So soft and smooth. I like the way the van feels in granny-low creeping up over rought stuff. But--the sidewalls are getting eaten up. They are not the right tire!

I plan to put them on the '81 in the fall and the Agilises on the Syncro after I get a fifth for the spare

Don't ask me how I came to have 14 Vanagon rims total!.

Richard A. Jones Boulder, Colorado '81 Vanagon Mr Bus '87 Syncro Westy El Jefe