Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:40:54 -0500
From:         Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Westy tire grief - long (this is gonna stir up the bees
              nest...)

Jeff, I went through the exact same thing two weeks ago! I feel your pain, brother. Here's a few things I found out, which may - or may not - help:

Our buses, Westys in particular, are heavy, cumbersome vehicles. The correct tires are essential not only for the ride quality, but the ultimate safety of the occupants. The big thing to be concerned with is the load rating of the tire. According to everything I've read, and confirmed with VW customer service - for whatever that's worth! - the tires must have a minium load range of 'C'. Load range 'D' tires have been highly recomended by Westy owners. My old Michelin MXT's had a 1710 pound rating. In my reasearch, I took that as the base line of what was acceptable. The fact that the Bridgstone's you're looking at have a reinforced sidewall is of little use if they don't have the load rating - 'C' or 1710 pounds.

There are several different size tires that will actually work on the alloy wheels. 185R14, 195/75R14, 205/70R14, 205/75R14, and a few others. Strictly from a mounting perspective, the Bridgestone's will mount on the alloys.

What I also found was the selection of tire with the combination of size and load range is limited, at best. To wit:

Michelin: Agilis 61, size 185R14 Agilis 51, size 195/75R14

Yokohama: Y356, size 185R14 Y370, size 195/75R14, load range 'D'

Nokian: A snow tire in 185R14

From various list members I received the following recomdations:

Sears Trailhandler 195/75R14

Uniroyal Laredo 195/75R14

Goodyear Wrangler AT 195/75R14

BF Goodrich Radial AT 27x8.50R14 LT/C (1515lbs @ 50 psi)

Hancook 185R14

Firestone F-570 205/70R14 (95T, M&S, 1521lbs load @ 44 max. psi)

Some of the AT & truck tire are probably a little noisy, what with their agressive tread patterns and all. But they are worth lookin in to.

<<<snip>>>Has anyone tried Bridgestone 613's on their Westy (with alloy wheels)? They come as 205/75 R14 and should fit. They have a reinforced sidewall.<<<snip>>>

Reinforced sidewall does not mean they have the load range a Westy needs. Be careful...

<<<snip>>>Here's a summary of my efforts to find tires for my Westy now that my second set of Michelin MXL's (205/70 R14) has worn out and we know there are none left. I looked at all of the vanagon.com info, called the Tire Rack, spoke with a manager at Michelin, did some internet searches, spoke to two local dealerships and spoke with VW Customer Service 5 times yesterday. What a pain in the ass. Here's a summary of the results:

1. The dealerships can't help<<<snip>>>

Did you really expect differently? :o)

<<<snip>>>2. Tire Rack suggests Michelin Agilis 185/14 but there are none available. VW Customer Service says not to use that size tire on the alloy wheels.<<<snip>>>

Tire Rack had plenty in stock when I orders two weeks ago. Did they say when they were getting more in stock? Did they check all their warehouses -- Indiana, Delaware, Nevada? VW customer service is wrong! The Agilis 61's fit the alloy wheels to a 'T'. Several list members have these on alloys, including me, and there's no problem.

<<<snip>>>3. Michelin has no replacements of any type. They suggested looking at Nokian tires. Nokian (Swedish?) has the correct size but no reinforced sidewalls.<<<snip>>>

Huh?!? The Agilis 61 is available - I bought them, I know! Michelin discontinued a Agilis tire (don't remember the size, but it was not the Agilis 61 185R14) and they're giving you bogus info that directly contradicts what they gave me a few weeks ago. Their suggestion to me was the Agilis 61!! Nokian's are great snow tires, if you have the need for such. I wouldn't run them year round...

<<<snip>>>4. VW Customer Service didn't initially think it was their responsibility to help me find tires. After convincing them that it was, they did some research for possible replacements and suggested either going with a 215/65 R14 or a 225/65 R14. I've since found that neither size exists. After reporting that to them they suggested that I might have to buy new wheels. Not a suggestion I'm very receptive to.<<<snip>>>

VW CS could not even tell me what size tire initially came with the van when new. I knew I was in trouble at that point. Simply put, they're idiots. Ask them that since the van came with a particular set of rims and their recommdation is to change rims, would they be willing to pay for the new rims? Nope. Not on your life.

<<<snip>>>5. I have a great local tire shop and I asked one of the owners for help. He checked with all of his contacts and came up with a Bridgestone model 613 which is a 205/75 R14. He had never heard of the tire and ordered one for us to look at today. It will fit the wheel and has reinforced sidewalls. Not sure if it's a passenger, light truck or tractor(!) tire. If anyone has heard of or used this tire I'd be very interested in hearing about it. The cost is $530US for 4 tires including tax, mounting, etc.<<<snip>>>

Sounds like a good shop. Not many places would order a tire just so you could look it over. Price is good too. But remember, it may indeed have reinforced sidewalls and still not be right for your Westy. Stamped somewhere on the tire should be the weight range, in pounds. With a Westy, you need to be in the 1700 pound range, perhaps a bit more. Remember the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco? I don't believe it's entirely a Firestone problem. Driving a weighty, top-heavy vehicle around without the correct load range tire can wreck havoc on the tire. 'Course, you probably don't drive your Westy the way Explorer owner drive their vehicles. Oh, and Bridgestone and Firestone are the same company, in case you didn't know.

<<<snip>>>Thanks for listening to my rambling! :)<<<snip>>>

Ditto. And I hope this helps in some way...

Alan Bosch & Phred ('88 Wolfsburg) Rochester, NY