Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:59:20 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Could Faulty thermostat cause poor mileage? GASKET?

In a message dated 7/20/2001 4:30:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Oxroad writes:

> Since I put in a new thermostat

And more importantly for those who know about 1.9 liter thermostat gasket. My old thermostat had a large O ring as a gasket. The new thermostat from a list vendor had a O shaped seal of course, but it was squared off in it's perimeter instead of a true O ring. Meaning if you split the O and straightened it out you would have a long piece of rubber with square sides for the most part--really slightly pointed on one side--not a perfect square.

I thought I must have accidentally been shipped the wrong gasket so I ordered one at the VW dealer which ended up being the same exact gasket when it arrives. I figured they must have changed the style. Anybody have a clue what the H#** I could be talking about. And if the 1.9 thermostat gasket is an O ring or an O ring with squared off sides.

I have a phobia about opening the thermostat housing since it cost me $225 for the upper thermostat housing last time I opened it -- that's the cost of the part only BTW. (it should go easier this time since I didn't use tons of JB Weld to hold it together like the DPO)

Thanks Jeff