Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:29:59 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cooling system woes (again, again, again-again)
Comments: To: Brian Sassone <bsassone@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hate to be the bearer of ill tidings, but most likely, you are getting exhaust gasses in the coolant system. Cracked head or bad head gasket.

There may be other sources for your problem, but you're describing my situation of last month.

have your mechanic do a sniff test on your coolant. If HC present, you've got a problem. To determine the exact location of that problem, you need to do a cylinder leakage test, which involves pumping air into the cylinders, one by one, and measuring the amount of pressure loss. If the leak is severe enough (mine was but yours probably isn't), you'll see bubbles coming up in the fill bottle.

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Sassone" <bsassone@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2001 5:47 AM Subject: Cooling system woes (again, again, again-again)