Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2001 05:52:00 -0700
From:         Steve Suprata <syncrosteve@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Car Shows - Anybody ever go?
Comments: To: tberk@MINDSPRING.COM

TBerk,

False!

A few years back I purchased a clean 86 Vanagon GL. It was silver with a blue seven passenger interior. Nothing fancy but in great shape. I detailed it and added window tint. A friend added some cool striping on the lower body. I ditched the plastic wheel covers and bought some chrome 5-spoke wheel covers from the local hub cap man. I customized those covers with some stick on round VW badges from PEEK Performance in Lanham MD. They looked like stock VW custom wheels. I often attended the "Bug Out" VW car shows in Manassas VA. They are held every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. I previuosly enetered my 76 Westy and took 3rd place in the air-cooled van class. There are usually 20-30 vans of all types entered. Vanagons are being represented more and more. So I entered my 86 GL. The daily driver classes usually have the most entered. My 86 GL took 2nd place at the Bug Out and first at another show. The most asked question-"Where did you find those factory VW custom wheels?" The most fun activity? Talking to the other owners about the vans and the mods they've done or the camping trips, etc. I think most folks on the list would enjoy a show or two. I really lusted after the 91 White Westy Syncro with gray interior in brand new condition. He took first place. That was the incentive to buy my present 86 Syncro Westy (tan interior though. No Vanagon hot rods, but I think everyone enjoyed the attention and comraderie. Try one, I think you'll like it!

Being the Vanagon doesn't lend itself to Hot Rodding or showing off type activities (for the most part) but instead is a people

hauler/camping type thing it seems most folks on this list couldn't be bothered with attending a (VW) car show or two.

True?

TBerk

===== Steve Suprata

86 Syncro Westy "Izzie"