Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:03:11 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Canadians go buggy. film at eleven.

> I dunno 'bout this French-Canadian "Sparks from Hell" story. > I think there has been a mixup in translat'in, somehow, from Spanish to > English to French to English agin.

no, you're not going far enough back to the beginning ... stand around a campfire when some moron tosses another log onto the fire, and you're understand the 'sparks' aspect of the name, especially if .. a. you have a beard b. you happened to be standing downwind when the log hit the fire c. those little sparks happened to get into your beard!!!

the 'from hell' part is easy to understand.

> Since Phaedra is complaining of a burning itch that intensifies for 5 days - > she mus be talkin 'bout "Ass-teroids".

well, you have to remember that bugs is bugs, but they have different kinds in different countries. y'all come on down heah and wallow in the grass at some picnic or barbecue and you'll go home knowing what 'chiggers' are. :) but they only last about a week or so ... the itchin, that is. the red spots last a bit longer. campho phenique and calamine lotion help a little, but not a whole lot. basically, you have to wait the little buggers out.

> But what I don' unnerstand is what no-see-ums have to do with any 'a this.

they's related ... bugs is bugs, and they's always trying to outdo each other. how else do you explain the mosquitos in nebraska!!!?? one lands on your arm, you swat it, and then have to wash the pint of blood off your arm and your hand ... them things is the size of wasps (alabama wasps. i'd hate to see the real wasps in nebraska!!!). and i hear the ones in alaska are even bigger.

but the biggest ones are in louisiana .. i believe they are the State Bird for that state. :) they've been known to carry off small dogs and pets.

> And I've never heard of swabbing an asteroid with amonia, neither. You'd > think that'd increase the burn'in part and not do much for the itch'in part > at all.

hmm. must be the socialized medicine they have up there in canada .. down here, where the doctors perform surgery on your wallet as a 'precautionary measure', they'll swab any part of your body with anything they have handy. and there's ALWAYS some amonia laying around the cleaning closet ... gotta keep them office windows clean, you know! personally, it's been my observation that saliva, mixed with liberal doses of tobacco, has a medicinal effect on many insect bites. cept fer them louisiana ones ... only tobasco sauce works on their bites. :)

> Joel - help me figger this one out, and don jus' go tell'in me to go read > the manual agin.

well, i hate to tell ya, but it's in the book ... Wildwood Wisdom, by Ellsworth Jaeger. kinda old, but the bugs don't know it. :)

the whole point to all this is ... it ain't enough to worry about your water pump and fuel pump and idle stabilizer module and all that stuff ... thar be things out in them woods, big things, and little things, and YOU are on their menu!!! :)

life is just one damned thing after another. :)