Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:29:31 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Campout Report COWvab

Hey campers! We had a great time at Beaver Creek Sate Park. The weather was beautiful. The night skies shone with stars. And the food tables groaned under the weight of too much good food.

Previous Campers included: Jeff and Kim with Otto the dog ('82 Diesel Westy) Jonathan and Rebecca with Max the dog ('85 Westy) Stephen and Colleen with Sam the dog ('84 Westy) New (to COWvab) campers: Dave and Chris ( '88 {?} Syncro Westy) Jay ('87 Syncro Westy) Bob and Barbara ('87 Westy)

Friday afternoon Jay began a wait for J & R and D & C. Saturday morning J & K and B & B came in from West of Cleveland. S & C followed in mid afternoon, driving 5 hours up from Southern Ohio.

The vans were arranged along the bank of Beaver Creek in the shade of towering sycamores and maples.

A lively fridge overhaul ensued on Dave's new Westy (still had the temp tags on it from Boston). Boy! Could we make some money selling those pictures?! It's always good to get together in camping mode. We compared and discussed the nuances of various aspects of our beloved coaches. Jay's Shady Boy awning was impressive in its foldaway size and it seemed to hold up well in the few stiff breezes that we experienced Saturday afternoon.

As the sun went below the Western hills and the shadows fell across the Westies, folding tables formed up and lawn chairs circled. A small cooking fire appeared in the fire ring and the feast began. Pot luck dinner was a treat to behold...beginning with nachos, veggies, breads, cheeses, salsas and appropriate beverages. Then the heavy courses brought on quesadillas ("quaysadillus" in Appalachian), scrumptious chicken topped salad, corn-on-the-cob, pasta salad, burgers and more than I can remember. Barbara's corn bread and dessert are sure to make her welcome at any future COWvab event.

After dinner and around the campfire we were visited by Brad the Park Ranger and offers to dine were politely refused. We all waited for a contingency of para-normals who were scheduled to camp nearby and do a "search for phenomena" of the nearby park grounds. They didn't show in any numbers or forms that we could readily identify. Too bad...they missed a gorgeous night for being outdoors. Brad entertained us with not-too-convincing ghosts stories/legends of the area. Some of the less skeptical didn't want to hear a couple of good ones later on. We all slept well in the cool night.

Sunday morning broke early for some. Various walks, runs, trail and road bike rides were enjoyed by several participants and all dogs. Beaver Creek has the distinction of being the only National WILD and Scenic Waterway East of the Mississippi. The trails along it are packed with flora and fauna no longer in abundance in that part of the state. Even though we have had record rains in other parts of the state, Beaver Creek was in it's summer pool stage and would have made for spotty kayaking/canoeing. The water was clear, cool and pretty.

Campout pictures should follow in a day or two.

At a group consensus meeting held Sunday before breaking camp we decided to plan for a Fall Campout....somewhere West of Columbus to allow some of our Western Ohio members to experience our shenanigans. Any suggestions? The Little Miami River Trail area is nice.

Like Tar Hollow, the group approved of the camping arrangements and it was a consensus to return in the future. As someone said, we now know we have a core group that's willing to travel and camp. Our goal has been to secure an area where we can be away from traditional camping 'slips' ( i.e. concrete drives) and their accompanying motorhomes, trailers and generators. Perhaps with more events we will be able to convince other State Parks of our "tread lightly" practices and they will allow us to use their facilities, too. (It seems most parks only allow tent camping in their 'primitive' areas.) For now, we will continue scheduling campouts where/when we can. For those of you on the COWvab list...we will continue to inform you of events. Try to make one...you WILL have a good time.

Enjoy the remainder of the summer.

-- stephen (still) reluctant header upper of the Central Ohio Westies Vans and Busses