Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:53:29 -0600
From:         Jon B Kanas <kanas@QUALITY.QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Fast Idle Fixed

Hi Mark and Fellow Listers,

The symptoms you describe match exactly problems I recently encountered with my 1987 Syncro. After disconnecting the idle control solenoid, mine would idle properly, but the problem would return next cold start cycle. My first effort to address the problem was to replace the tempi sensor. This make the Vanagon run much better overall, but the idle speed problem persisted.

I checked the idle switch on the throttle body, cleaned all connections, inspected for vacuum leaks and thoroughly cleaned the solenoid, to no avail. At this point, I determined that the problem was probably the Stabilizer Control Unit (behind the right taillight). I removed and opened the unit and found that it was very clean (no evidence of water contamination). I resoldered the joints on the circuit board... problem remained. I still suspected the Stabilizer Control Unit, but now took the Syncro to a trusted local shop since I didn't want to spend $100+ for the Stabilizer when I was not certain that it was the problem. The shop borrowed another control unit, and the problem went away.

Net result was purchase and installation of a new Stabilizer Control Unit and about $30 labor for the shop to insure that I wasn't wasting my money.

--

Jon B Kanas

IBM Global Services / IT Architecture kanasjon@us.ibm.com 303-924-9049

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Longmont, Colorado Cultural Center of the Universe 303-678-0658 kanas@qadas.com

Boulder County Colorado: 194249 sq Hectares surrounded by reality. Working hard to keep it this way

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.