Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:28:16 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC Conv: R12 to R134A, long, Larry A.
Comments: To: Michael Townsend <townsend@rtp.ericsson.se>

Sorry, I don't remember where I got that adapter. I spent about a year and a half gathering parts and shopping around while I read the posts on aircondition.com and on this list and generally stalled around. I got adapters at various places around Chicago: Pep Boys, Trak, Auto Zone, NAPA, K-Mart, maybe others too, planning to convert my van and my daughter's Saab. Finally SWMBO issued an ultimatum and I did the van about 3 weeks ago. Got the receiver/dryer from Ken, O-rings to fit those connections from Pep Boys (generic set of blue rings, three or four each of four sizes), O-rings for the compressor connections from the dealer, a can of ester oil, some purple leak detector dye, lots of R-134A. Disconnected and dismounted the compressor to empty out the old oil, but only got about a teaspoonful. I assume a lot of the oil leaked out with the R-12 as reported by the PO. Put about 4 oz of ester oil in the compressor. Installed the new receiver drier. Gave it about 1 oz of oil. Put on the adapters. Borrowed a vacuum pump from my place of employment. Had to improvise a way to connect it to the center hose of my 134A AC gauge set since I didn't have anything around with ACME threads. I let it pump for about 3 hours and then shut it off for about 30 min while I watched the vacuum on the gauge to be sure that there weren't any really gross leaks. When I was ready to add the refrigerant I discovered that the hose from my gauge set wouldn't attach directly to the R-134a cans. Back to FLAPS for a tapper valve. Since the compressor may not come on at all with no pressure in the system, I put most of a can in the low side before starting the engine, etc. Setting the can of refrigerant in hot water helps to encourage it to leave the can and go where you want it. After starting the car I continued adding refrigerant and the pressures came up as expected. Since the original R-12 charge was supposed to 51 oz and they say that with 134a you should use 80%, I stayed conservative and put in 3 cans total (36 oz) of 134a. By that time, if I recall the low side pressure was around 30 psi and the high side was about 220. The high pressure switch was kicking the radiator up to a higher speed periodically (as per Bentley) as soon as the high side got to about 200. Once I closed the engine compartment so that it wasn't sucking in such hot air, it started to work fairly well. I took it for a short drive and stopped in a parking lot to check with a thermometer. With the temp control at max cold and the fan on 3, I got about 52 F and with the fan on 2 got about 48 F. This is measuring at the opening of the rear housing around the evaporator. (My "tunnel" fell down suddenly about 6 months ago. I'm not sure if I'll try to put it back up. Not banging my head any more!) In the past 3 weeks we have driven it from Chicago to northern Pa and also into Indiana and Mich and the AC seems to continue to work fine, producing about the same temps. If it eventually leaks down, I'll put in the leak detector and go from there. At least 134a is relatively cheap. I recently saw that Interdynamics has a charging kit on the shelves now which includes a tapper valve, hose, and a low side pressure gauge which has colored zones to indicate the proper pressure for 134a. This might be a reasonable compromise if you don't want to invest in a full gauge set, but want some feedback. There is probably no great need to connect to the high side, so you could probably skip that adapter. Keep the cans right side up to dispense gas not liquid, and add only to the low side (near the compressor, large diameter hose). good luck.

Larry A. (cool and comfortable)