Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:36:23 -0700
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: alignment in 87 Westy--what is correct?
Comments: To: Dadtocarson@CS.COM

I'd take exception to what the tire shop told you. If a tire is out of alignment it is not going to wear correctly. Be it in front or rear. I speak from personal experience. I had a rear wheel out of alignment and have a worn edge on the tire to prove it.

Strange that the shop had the equipment to measure all the alignment adjustments, but didn't. Could it have been the shop just did not know how?

Might not be bad to take a copy of the shop manual pages that deal with alignment. Be aware that some shops have the wrong alignment numbers for the later vans - there is a service bulletin on this.

Oh, and always check to see that the shop remembered to replace the plastic nut covers on the rear control arms.

Todd '88 Westy.

Phillip Bouton wrote:

> I got my van aligned after buying two new tires. Does anyone know > what needs > to get adjusted for an alignment in front and rear (caster, camber, > toe)? I > needed one badly in the front (hence the need for two tires). It > appears the > shop only adjusted the Toe which is now within spec and only at the > front > end. > > When I questioned the shop they said that there was no need to adjust > the > back as it would not effect performance or wear on the tires. The > following > is what is on the printout from the alignment showing the specs for > the van > and the before and after increments from the alignment: > > Caster front spec: 7.0 to 7.5; before adjustment: 6.4L, 7.1R; after > adjustment: 6.4L 7.1R > > Camber Front spec: -0.5 to 0.5; before adjustment: .2L, -0.2R; after > adjustment: .2L, .1R > > Toe front spec: -0.9 to .41; before adjustment: -0.55L, -0.6R; after > > adjustment: .15L, .15R > > In the rear > > Camber spec: -1.3 to -0.3; before and after adjustment -0.7L, -1.6R > > Toe spec: -0.16 to .16; before and after adjustment -0.55L, -0.25R > > Is this OK or should I go back and if so what do they need to do? > > PS. please CC my address if you can. THANKS! > *<>*<*>*<>*<*>*<>*<*>*<>* > Phillip Bouton > 87 Westy > Annapolis, MD

[text/html]