Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:50:01 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Instrument Cluster Lights

At 14:07 25/07/01 -0400, you wrote: >From: Kenneth Madsen <ncc0778@CORP.ATTCANADA.CA> >Subject: Instrument Cluster Lights. > >Hello, Do the instrument cluster lights run in series as far as wiring, >meaning if one blows, do they all seize to function?

Hi Ken,

No,if one light ceases to function it should have no bearing on the rest.I've had a bulb go in the past and the function of all the other instrument lights was not affected. As to the cause of your malady,I can't really suggest anything useful, I'll have to leave that to someone with a more intimate knowlege of electrickery...

On a general note, speaking of instrument lights.... One day some months back when I had too much time on my hands,I got to thinking how I was bored with the harsh white light of the instrument cluster at night and how much nicer the cool blue & red colours of my T4 Double Cab dash was and wondered what could be done to modernize the appearance.

I happened to have some of that coloured film that you cover stage lighting with,since I'm loosely connected with the music biz so I thought I'd give it a try.Rainy day...looking for something to tool about with on a VW ...you know how it is...I'm sure some of you can relate...;) So I removed the top of the instrument pod and removed the two bulbs that illuminate the speedo & clock (or tacho) and their housing. A piece of the film was cut to size and slipped in below the two bulbs where it will sit without any fixing and put everything back together again....and it worked! Took all of 10 minutes to complete and is completely reversable if need be.

I didn't try to do the same with the idiot lights as it's too fiddly and I didn't want to tempt the VW gods too much but now the speedo & clock have a nice subtle bluish hue to them which is far more gentle on the eye at night and matches nicely with the blue paintwork of the van.It also doesn't reflect as much in the windscreen at night avoiding the need to dim your dash lights (not that that's a big deal...)

Anyway,it looks sweet so just thought I'd share.Sometimes it's fun to fiddle with stuff just for the sake of it....but my wife has never been convinced by that arguement...;)

Cheers, Steve O Blue Mountains NSW Aust. '92 Transporter 2.1 WBX Kombi '76 Transporter 2.0 Double Cab '68 Beetle 1.5 '00 Transporter 5Cyl 2.5 Double Cab (work truck)