Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:44:55 -0400
From:         Jeff Howard <schur@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Fridge assistance requested

Hi,

I have an '87 Westy and I'm getting ready to leave on a long trip. I've been working on the fridge for the last 3 days trying to understand why it won't ignite. It's been troublesome in the past and I want to solve the problem for good. Right now I have the fridge pulled and it's sitting in my van. I have an extension gas line run so I can work on it out in the open.

I opened the little combustion chamber on the bottom of the fridge to check the spark. It's good. I turned the gas on and ignited it with the combustion chamber open (carefully). Works great and I can seal it up with it burning and it will keep burning. I can then shut it off and restart it and it will restart as long as it's still hot. If I let it cool off and then try to start it with the combustion box sealed, it won't start. This makes me think you need some type of draft or fresh air flow to start it. I tried pumping the air pump (a lot) but that won't do it. I haven't done the air pump mod yet but have the part here. Has anyone done that? Did it help with starting?

I took apart the exhaust and fresh air pipes. They're both clear. The little pipe from the air pump to the fresh air pipe seems to be clear. So, my current assumption is that there is isn't enough of a draft getting fresh air into the chamber for ignition. If this is true I'm not sure how to get a good draft going. Maybe a bicycle pump on the condensation drain? :) In the past I used to cool the fridge down overnight with 110VAC before trying to ignite and that might have helped a little but it still wasn't consistent. Any help, advice, questions are very welcome!

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Jeff H. '87 Westy