Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:48:19 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: "clacka" noise @ rear right wheel area
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>

John Rodgers wrote:

> Clacka noise is usually associated with a lifter that is loosing it's > prime. A shot of Marvels Mystery Oil Treatment 100 miles before an oil > change, plus a new Mahle oil filter(from one of the list vendors) will > most likely eliminate the problem. The lifter clacking thing is really > common on the WBX, and usually is of no consequence if properly serviced > with the treatment just described. But be advised that even with the > best of service, the nature of the beast is for at least one lifter to > loose it's prime if the vehicle sits for and extended period without > being run. In that case, allow it to warm up, then drive it a bit > usually will stop clacking within a half-hour of driving. > > To test your C/V joints, get in a level parking lot, start driving in a > big circle and steer into an ever tightening spiral until the steering > wheel is at the stops. By the time you reach the end of the tight > spiral, if the CV'S are going out you will hear them knocking. By > turning right and then left you can identify the side on which the > knocking is occuring. The knocking CV is your culprit. > > Also, I question this business or reversing the CV's. Don't do it unless > you hear the knocking, in which case, get new ones. > > Good Luck. > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver, Birmingham, AL > > Tony wrote: > > > > Volks, > > > > My 89 Carat w/149k miles (bought it @ 145k) started > > this noise -- a "clacka" "clacka" sound - esp. when > > accelerating...does it also in reverse....dies out > > when u let off the gas....it was around for 2 days and > > then 'presto' it stopped...tho tonite on the freeway > > could hear a faint "clicka" sound when driving near > > freeway walls to reflect the noises of the > > van....might this be the CV joint? My local mechanic, > > who so-far has been outstandingly helpful and > > honest....hasn't heard it yet, but says likely the CV > > joint - and said $60-80 to pull and reverse the > > rotation direction..will get 3-5 years more life out > > of the CV ---plus $22 if I need the boot...any other > > thoughts, ideas ? > > > > Also - driver window goes down only if I press the > > switch 2-3 times -- worked normal till recently -- is > > this the switch? > > > > Thanks > > > > Tony > > 89 Carat - "agnes" > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger > > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Lifter noise correlates with engine speed, CV noise with movement of van. Should be able to tell the difference. As per recent posts, changing the direction of rotation only works if the left and right shafts are switched around. This may not be possible if you have an automatic and the shafts are of different lengths. Just reporting what I saw in recent posts. Larry A.