Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:45:07 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air flow meter
Comments: To: Justin Wolfe <wolfe@LISAIUS.COM>

Just a general observation about the AFM. I think a quick way to check the condition of your AFM is to see if you can hold various rpm speeds up through the idle to 3000 rpm range. Before I replaced mine, the engine would not go smoothly from idle to say, 1500 or 2000 rpm. As I pushed on the pedal, it would sort of sit there, then go up to 2000 or higher. It was nearly impossible to back down from 2000 to 1500 and hold it there. I believe this is a sign of worn out AFM. With the new unit, I can move smoothly up through the entire range and hold it anywhere between idle and 3500 rpm. Of course other things can come into play, like vacuum leaks, ignition, distributor wear... The new AFM was worth the cost. (This was for an '85 Digijet.)

Justin Wolfe <wolfe@LISAIUS.COM> on 07/27/2001 09:43:10 AM

Please respond to Justin Wolfe <wolfe@LISAIUS.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: Air flow meter

Anyone have any luck with an air flow meter. Did it fix your bucking? justin 84' Westy