Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:15:50 -0700
From:         "M.R. Nimmo" <mrnimmo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Considering I4 swap:  1.8 89 Golf vs. 1.8 VW Fox (90?)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Haven't sold my 84 Vanagon, and really don't want to. I'm playing around with the idea of selling my other ride (the reliable Toyota van-- I must be nuts) and finishing the restoration of my vanagon. I do love my vanagon.

Found a rusty diesel vanagon complete that can be had for a nice price, but still considering buying the conversion kit from Fastforward. Found two 1.8's, a Golf 88 or 89 and a VW Fox, same vintage I believe. My mechanic really, Really, REALLY doesn't want to switch over the FI, and wants to bolt on a Weber 32/36 or the Solex 34/5 kit (shows rabbit, golf, but not "crossflow" head, whatever that is) assuming they fit. (It will be cheaper than the ECU for the 1.8's anyway, right?) The mechanics cheap and I trust him with my life or wife, but FI is not his thing. And there's no other option anyway.

Please don't lecture me on "Mother Earth" and I know FI will give better driveability, mileage, and power. I'm looking for cheap and reliable. As for Mother Earth, I give at the office by keeping these old heaps for a longgggggggg time. My 3 cars are all over 150k miles.

Any thoughts on this conversion? Those 1.8's bolt up ok to the diesel/Fastforward kit? Proper oil pan? Will the carbs bolt up to that head? (I know I will have to modify the engine cover.)