Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:00:48 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] Turbo drainage to pan (Vanagon)
Comments: To: Bryan Belman <dieselbeast@hotmail.com>,
          "diesel@vwfans.com" <diesel@vwfans.com>

Bryan: The taller block may help provide a little more slope, but I am troubled by tapping into the oil pan. While I had the oil pan off, I set it flat on the table and started adding water to see when it started to overflow the lowest edge (the one nearest the manifold side of the block. At about 2.5 quarts water started spilling out. That means that the oil level resides above that edge of the pan at idle. Draining oil from the turbo to this point would seem to bring the oil in below the oil level. (I believe Mike Snow reported different results in a similar test. I can't explain our differences, unless we have different oil pans.)

Is there a way to run the drain line over to the opposite side of the block to drain into the "top" of the oil pan? Does anyone who has done this have pictures they can send me or post to the web?

Maynard

On Friday, July 27, 2001 11:29 AM, Bryan Belman [SMTP:dieselbeast@hotmail.com] wrote: <snip> > I see from your pictures the issue about not enough drain slop to return oil > from turbo. I have not gotten that far yet. I think the 1.9l block and > head I have are taller by an inch or two and will provide me with more > slope, but not much. I will let you know. This worries be a bit because I > have read how important that return line and gravity doing it job, is. The > block itself does not have a return spot, you need to tap into the oil pan. > I plan to do it the same way the 1.6l TD motor is done. <snip>

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:50, Maynard Southard <echomhs@gis.net> wrote: >Subject: RE: [DIESEL] Turbo muffler suggestions and 1.9l TD vanagon upgrade >needs. >Bryan: >Try Martin's site: >http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/engine/ >Also, I have posted a few pictures of my 1.6L "dry" setup (using the Quantum >manifold and just fitted together to examine fit - not really buttoned up for running): >http://www.gis.net/~echomhs/Projects.html >One of my stumbling points on turbocharging Reinhardt has been the oil return >line from the Turbo. Does your 1.9L long block have a spot for that return? > Can you give me any details on the hardware you will use to plumb this? > >Are you using the 1.9L TD long block or the 1.9L NA long block? > >If you are using the TD long block, was Ken able to provide the turbo head >machined to accept the Quantum manifold? > >Maynard Southard OvO '79 >'82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" > >On Wednesday, July 25, 2001 7:43 PM, "Bryan Belman" <dieselbeast@hotmail.com> >wrote: ><snip> > > 1. I am looking for suggestions on a muffler to use that is less > > restrictive then the stock 1.6l muffler I have now.?? > > > > 2. Do I want to do this or just use the stock muffler? > > > > 3. Any good suggestions on how to prime the old pump of my new 1.9 long > > block before startup would be nice.