Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2001 04:31:43 -0700
From:         Zoltan <zol@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cairo Report:  Trip home #4
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <mstebbins@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dear Malcolm and Pat, Thanks for the lovely report, it has restarted all those beautiful pictures in my mind, making me want to do it again and stay there longer. Now that I bought that camper in Germany, I will go more often and six month at a time. To me that is the real reason for having a Westy, being the most practical vehicle for the purpose. Mine being air cooled, I expect even less mechanical, or should I say, water related problems. The last time I was there, we used a '76 camper with a smaller engine than 2L. And it was going very well, without the wish for more speed. Europe is not a speeding place. To many cars, small roads, mountainous drives. Only the freeways are speedy yet 70 mph is pretty good speed. Sure, there are the occasional sport cars that swoosh by you, but that's great. I miss the prettiness of Europe, though for natural beauty I will always rather travel in the US. The enormous amount of history that is there and is part of us makes me see all there is and listen and read about all. It is like pouring gold coins into my pocket. Some kind of wealth I can not loose... And it was only possible with a Westy. Thanks again to Malcolm and Pat. Zoltan ----- Original Message ----- From: Malcolm Stebbins To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2001 2:56 AM Subject: Cairo Report: Trip home #4

To all of you: We had a great time in Rome, spent 7 hours in the Vatican, it was great, but the crowds were so big that it really took the edge off the experience. Then north up through Tuscany region of Italy (quaintly beautiful) through to Switzerland where we took the most beautiful road of the trip over the majestic Swiss alps (camped on the 'Sustenpass'). We took list member Bill Kasper`s advice and went to the Interlaken region and took 4 cable car rides up the Schilthorn (2,971 meter mountain) and then walked down (full report to follow), it was GREAT. (thanks Bill) Switzerland is by far the most beautiful country that we have visited. Then again north up through a corner of (20 minutes) Austria and now north up through cutsie German town after cutsie Gerrman town (along what is called the Romantic Road) where we are now in Bamberg , Germany.

The van has been cooperating, no major problems, a bit of oil seepage but tightening the bolts around the offending pipes seems to have taken care of that. The fridge fuse blew, but that was fixed in 1 minute. We have about 10 days remaining and we will soon be heading west for Belgium to ship the van. Our mood picked up greatly in Switzerland and we are again enjoying every minute of the trip.

Just thought you all would like to know, Malcolm & Pat