Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:43:48 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant resistance thru coolant level probe
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>

At 09:14 AM 7/28/2001, Larry Alofs wrote: >Right. Although I hope that some other people will try to check the trigger >point because my van has been flakey in the past and it is very possible that >this value is not typical.

Should be about right -- you're swamping a signal supplied through 100 k-ohms, in the old modules at least.

> > Why then some people had > > it blinking with tanks full of coolant? > >That is the main question. In the past mine has blinked for weeks at a time >with the tank completely full of a reasonable mixture, and then healed itself >again. David's statement about a marginal capacitor on the circuit in the >dash >being affected by humidity seems to make sense. I guess I should go into that >or learn to ignore the flashing or replace level sensor part with a different >circuit.

You can easily test that -- unplug and jumper across the sender leads. If it doesn't blink, could be dirty probes. If it *does* blink, bad gauge or open wiring or bad control module.

The active terminal of the probe will trigger the flasher if it gets pulled either high or low -- the circuit is a multivibrator (makes a square wave at ?100? Hz -- I forget) coupled through 100 kohms and a pair of 1000 pF caps to an arrangement that grounds the gauge terminal (thus simulating an overtemp and triggering the light) if the square wave stops. The sender terminal is between the two 1000 pF caps and will swamp the square wave if it's tied to *any* fixed voltage of low enough impedance.

The other terminal is ground, thus supplying a fixed voltage to tie the active terminal to.

That's based on the older discrete-components control module; I haven't checked out the other one yet. It has an 8-pin DIP (custom VW) and not much else, and triggers the light without visibly affecting the gauge -- I presume that it pulses the gauge line instead of giving it a steady ground. I imagine its detector works pretty much the same way as the other one.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"