Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2001 07:47:00 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] Turbo drainage to pan (Vanagon)
Comments: To: diesel@vwfans.com

Yes, it was me that reported that the oil pan held 4 quarts. I cannot explain the difference in our test results. From Mark Drillock's experience, I believe that I have the oil pan used on the factory TD Vanagon sold only in Europe. The turbo oil return line goes into the pan at the bottom edge on the left side. Incidentally, in the North American ETKA this is the only diesel oil pan in the illustrations. The oil pan commonly found on the 1982-1983 USA model diesel Vanagons is listed by part number only. All of the illustrations from 1980-1985 show the TD oil pan.

A few comments on the level of the oil return line:

I recently saw an illustration (like an engineering drawing) of the factory 1.6TD setup. It shows the turbo hanging very low and the oil drain line running very nearly horizontal to the oil pan. The oil pressure in the diesel engines approaches 100 PSI at higher RPMs. Even with the predictable losses after running through the filter and turbocharger bearing, there is really no way that crankcase pressure could have a meaningful effect on oil flow from the turbo to the oil pan. Whatever crankcase pressure exists is being vented anyway. Some diesel owners here have voiced concerns about the oil that remains in the drain line being thermally damaged through prolonged contact with the turbocharger bearing after the engine is shut down. This is a concern with all turbocharged engines, and the universal precaution is to allow the engine to idle for a few minutes until the oil flow has cooled the turbo enough to prevent oil coking on the turbo bearings. The oil does not drain completely from the turbocharger bearing, regardless of the location of the drain line. Whatever oil remains in the bearing is susceptible to coking. Personally, I believe the thermal stability of synthetic justifies their cost in turbocharged engines. YMMV.

In the 1.9TD engines, VW moved the oil return line to the engine block. It is well above the oil level in the pan. Would they have done this if crankcase pressure could cause damage to the turbo? The most compelling reason is so they could discontinue the production of the various models of oil pans for various turbocharged vehicles. I have a 1.9D 1Y engine block in the garage. It has a raised boss cast into the side of the block in the same location as the oil return hole on the AAZ engine. It also has the same piston squirter oil nozzles as the AAZ. It appears that the only difference in the engine block is that the factory did not drill and tap the hole for the oil return line on the NA block.

Mike Snow