Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jul 2001 04:37:58 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Kumho 852 as tire alternative...
Comments: cc: djs@GENE.COM

Daniel -

I have been running the Kumho 852 in 195R-14 on my '87 Westy for a couple of years now. Les Schwab, a PNW tire chain, was carrying them. I got a real deal, four mounted and balanced for $213.

They are pressure sensitive, and feel a bit squirmy if I don't keep the rear above 45 psi. Normally I run 36F/48R.

If you are runinning 205s on the wider alloy rims, you might want to start with VWs lower recommended pressure and see how it goes.

These are a truck tire, not a passenger tire with a reinforced sidewall, and should handle anything you can throw at them. IMO, they will not be particularly good in the snow, as the tread pattern isn't agressive enough, but I have only run them in the summers so - I could be wrong.

Overall, a darn good highway tire.

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:48:00 -0700 From: Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM> Subject: Kumho 852 as tire alternative...

I see from my research that Kumho makes a tire that appears to be just the thing for the Vanagon: Their Model 852 A/S Commercial Tire comes in a 185/195/205-R14 (I have the 205-70R14 alloys and it's a full camper), has a 107 Load Index and a Load Range of "D" for the 205-70R14 size. In addition, it IS a reinforced sidewall design. This tire appears to fit the bill exactly, with more than enough load-carrying capacity.

Does anyone have experience with the 852, including price? There are a couple of chains that sell Kumho passenger tires (Firestone and Winston Tire), but I assume the 852 would be a special order. It's marketed by Kumho as a "European commercial tire". I haven't checked with retailers yet, asking here first.