Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:45:20 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] Turbo drainage to pan (Vanagon)
Comments: To: Gary Shea <shea@gtsdesign.com>
Comments: cc: Bryan Belman <dieselbeast@hotmail.com>,
          "diesel@vwfans.com" <diesel@vwfans.com>

Gary: I follow your thoughts. I would also expect that the diameter of the return hose would affect how quickly the oil level equilibrium is reached, i.e. a small diameter hose may cause a back-up if the volume of oil is too great. What size (diameter/length) hose are you using?

Any chance you could post or send me some pictures of your set-up?

Thanks, Maynard

On Saturday, July 28, 2001 12:01 AM, Gary Shea [SMTP:shea@gtsdesign.com] wrote: > I have changed my mind several times about whether the oil needs to > return above the oil level in the pan. At the moment, my thinking > runs something like this: if you put water in a tube, and hold up the > two ends of the tube, the water is at the same height. So if you run > the oil return from the turbo straight into the pan below the oil > level, the oil level in the tube will be at the same level as that in > the pan, and it'll never get any higher. On the other hand, if you do > what I did and try to avoid going into the pan under the oil level, > you actually get a worse situation: the oil level in the hose from > the turbo to the pan now will be _higher_ than the oil level in the > pan if there're any dips in the hose. It has to be higher because, > after all, the outlet of the tube is higher. As long as the oil level > in the hose is below the level of the turbo bearings, no problem... > I'm not very happy with the way I did it, but will probably leave it > that way for a while. It is at least done ;) > > Gary