Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:03:01 -0700
From:         Bruce Grove <bruce@BRUCEGROVE.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: FW: Re: vanagon 5-speeds
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

Andrew wrote: > > I must say the 094 5-speed isn't a wonderful thing. first is VERY low, and > you may well end up not bothering with it. First is also very awkwardly > located, behind reverse, making 2nd nonintuitive to select. I suspect VW > intended first as an occasional-use thing. > Which one's the 094? My old 87 Vanagon (UK model) had the 1900 Waterboxer and the 5 speed and the gearing was much better than my US Westy. 1st to 3rd was about the same as the but the 87 had a slighty higher 4th than the Westy but 5th was much lower. The result was that cruising motorways and autobahns at 80mph was the same as doing 65 to 70 (i.e. ~4000rpm) in the Westy and 4th was just nice for giving a prod of power to get past something. I do know that there were at least two different final drives mated to the 5 speed gearbox, without changing the ratios in the box.

I found the dogleg first annoying for about 2 days and then after that it just became a.n.other gear shift layout.

> Also the gearshift has the typical sloppy VW feel. >

That'll be the 8ft linkage then.... Try the old Renault 16 with a column manual shift if you want dubious linkages ;-)

Bruce