Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:19:04 -0700
From:         "Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU>
Subject:      brake drum removal difficulties--need advice

Hi All,

This weekend I tried to remove the rear brake drums of our '85 Westy "Pearl" who is a fairly recent acquisition. My plan was to pull the drums off without the hubs per the Haynes manual. However, even after loosening the self-adjust wheel and the parking brake adj. nut, I couldn't free the drum. I think the shoes were off the drum because the wheel turned very freely. I didn't have a rubber mallet so I don't know how persuasive my t-shirt wrapped hammer blows were in attempting to free the drum.

The Bentley manual prescribes drum removal via pulling the hub. This would certainly get the drum off but I would like to avoid getting a hub puller and having to retorque that axle nut to a zillion ft-lbs.

Can anyone offer advice? Is the Haynes approach doable or do I have to use the Bentley method? Also, any suggestions on a good way to turn the self-adjusting wheel behind the backing plate--I was really struggling with that part.

Thanks, Scott