Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:57:54 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Coolant Change--the Way I Do It

I have had excellent luck using the Prestone flush kit. I cut a tee into one of the heater hoses underneath the Vanagon. It makes an excellent point for draining as well as flushing. When you cut it in, have several buckets handy. Recycle according to local laws. (I do believe down the toilet is OK.) After it is drained, I open the pressure cap in the back and hook up the garen hose to the tee. Turn on the hose and flush it out. You can run the engine with it hooked up. Once everything is clear, shut off the engine, remove the hose and drain from the tee. Close up the tee with the cap that comes with the kit. I then start filling with straight antifreeze in the back. Two gallons I think is about right. Once I get that in, I continue to fill with water. Open the radiator bleed until coolant comes out. Close it up. Let the coolant get warm with the pressure cap off, then screw on the pressure cap with the engine running. (Otherwise it will back up and overfill the tank.) Continue to run until hot keeping an eye on the tank level. Check it for the next couple of days and you should be good to go. I'm sure I forgot something, but someone will certainly remind me if I did! I think the reason the WBX's fail is this critical element. Most people just don't change their coolant as often as they should. Coolant is relatively cheap.

Jay