Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:02:31 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Maiden voyage of HMS "Redoubtable"...

Today I drove my '87 Westfailure for the first time in about six months. This is the culmination of my ongoing replacement of every cooling system component there is (about $700 worth of parts), as well as all the brake parts (drums/rotors/calipers/cylinders/hoses and all the mechanical bits).

Lacking decent champagne, I broke a Guinness Stout over the nose as a send-off.

I am happy to report that I put about 50 miles on the van in reasonably warm weather without incident. I drove both on the freeway and in traffic, up hills and under load. Fully warmed up, the needle stayed put about 1/2 way between the LED and the upper mark. I am currently running almost straight water as I wanted to make sure I had no leaks, and I still need to replace the long lengths of heater hose. I attribute the needle's position to the fact that the water has a lower boiling point than would a 50-50 mix of coolant, so I'm measuring a slightly elevated temperature. But the important thing is that my water level stayed constant in the expansion tank (I checked it at repeated stops out of paranoia).

The radiator fan cycled on and off like clockwork. I didn't see any signs of boiling water in the expansion even at the hottest portion of my drive, so I'm ***hoping*** that my cooling system is now OK, with no indication of a headgasket failure, as I was suspecting awhile back. And I'm continuing on with using the existing plastic cooling pipes under the van, the ends of which show the characteristic damage. I simply used two clamps for each hose and am hoping for the best.

I am also happy to report that my brakes work great, and I no longer have the vibrating steering wheel and pulsating brake pedal that I had when I purchase the van last year. The old parts were QUITE worn down!

I have only to replace my heater hoses, replace all four CV boots (they're all torn open!) and get some decent tires to be fully road-worthy. The short list for 205/70R14 tires is down to Kumho 852s or Yokohama Y356s. I have ordered a set of the 2WD springs from Steve Schwenk, so in a couple of months, the van should drive as well as it seems to run!

Comments via p-mail are of course welcome. Particularly moral support that I have no further cooling system "issues".

Dan