Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:13:04 +1000
From:         Chris Mundy <cwmundy@OPTUSNET.COM.AU>
Subject:      Dynamic Oil Pressure Sensor behind Speedo, how do they work,
              wiring diagrams, tachometer changes, etc
Comments: To: VW Caravelle AUSNZ Group <caravelleausnz@yahoogroups.com>
Comments: cc: dbeierl@attglobal.net

Hi Folks,

Advice required.

I am currently converting my instrument cluster from a standard 89 model(large clock)to an 84 cluster with a tacho.

On the surface the way ahead is to put the 89 Speedo into the 84 Cluster with Tachometer.

One of the challenges I have encountered is the fact that the 89 model Speedo has the dynamic oil pressure sensor which is designed to flash the Oil Pressure LED on low oil pressure and activate the buzzer at "2000" rpm when there is no pressure.

On the 84 Instrument Cluster there is no such thing as the Dynamic Oil Pressure Sensor however, the printed circuit does allow for one. The basic operation means that the 0.3 bar plug on the cluster runs through a resistor to the Oil Pressure LED.

I have managed to map out both circuits and have found that there is only a small modification required to the 84 circuit and they are

remove the resistor, attach the dynamic oil pressure switch adaptor (circuit to the Speedo plug) to the circuit board.

My question to those such as David Beierl who love playing with these things are

1. How does the sensor work, is it an IC? 2. Has anyone done this before or am I the Lone Ranger, eg 89->84? 3. Is there a circuit diagram in a late model Bentley's on Instrument Clusters? 4. Has anyone ever purchased or installed the lugs that attach to the wiring circuit?

By the way, the Instruments all work OK, I've mounted the 89 Speedo in the 84 Cluster, everything works OK, except the Oil Pressure LED doesn't flash at start up, it just glows then turns off when pressure is recognised just like your typical design.

This week I will be spending my spare time at the local Electronic Stores looking for plugs and lug attachments to circuit boards.

TIA

Chris Mundy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Christopher W. Mundy Hh: 61 2 62419343 AEST Wk: 61 2 62446749 AEST MB: 61 412239144 AEST E-Mail: cwmundy@optusnet.com.au ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~